domenica 10 maggio 2009

E-tivity 8
Some of the terms in the New York Times site’s article were unknown to me:
To quit
Withholding
Unobjectionable
To pillory
Stockpiling
Besides having learnt something more about terminology, in the article there were arguments galore about privacy violation in Facebook. I must admit that I’ve always been curious about functions of this program and once I’ve also felt uncomfortable when I knew that some friends of mine started to keep in touch with each other by using it much more often than to meet outside.
Initially, I felt excluded from that “world” but then I realized that if you want to be part of it, you must show yourself. This is a rule I don’t like much. Surely, every expert user of social network is well aware of the risk of disseminating personal information to large numbers of people, and this leads me to think that they have probably accepted the rule.
But what about the revealing and withholding of personal info? This question is also a sort of unease which seems to become more and more widespread. And you peers, what would you answer? Do you have Facebook?
See you soon
Bye -Arianna;)


Photo:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/3112854245_97eb3f6761_m.jpg

2 commenti:

  1. Hello Arianna!
    I noticed that in this post you used the new words you learned from the article! Well done, Arianna! :-)
    I think users can have a certain level of control on the personal information they put on Facebook: for example, I don't upload too many photos and I didn't publish my telephone number or other personal data like this...

    As for the language, I noticed a couple of things:
    * "curious about functions of this program": you should write "curious about the functions"
    * "once I’ve also felt uncomfortable when I knew that..." : I'd write "once I felt uncomfortable because I found out that..."

    See u tomorrow,
    Ilaria.

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hello Arianna!

    I joined Facebook last November as I wrote in my post. However, I agree with you on the fact that people should hang out with their friends instead of keeping in touch with them only by means of a social network!

    Now, about the language in your post:
    • I’d write ‘This is a rule I don’t like very much’ adding ‘very’ to your sentence.
    • You wrote: “every expert user of social network is…”. I’d write whether ‘every expert user of social networks is…’ or ‘every expert user of a social network is…’.

    Bye,
    Chiara

    RispondiElimina